- "They were all the rage when Voldemort first rose to power. You can see the appeal. Should the Death Eaters come knocking, one simply had to slip inside, and disappear for an hour or two. It can transport you practically anywhere. Tricky contraptions, though. Very temperamental."
- —Arthur Weasley[src]
The Vanishing Cabinet was a magical device that could be used to transport anyone or anything inside it from one place to another. They are, however, very tricky and temperamental contraptions and take very long to fix.
During the first war, the first Vanishing Cabinets hit the market. They were extraordinarily popular, given that should the Death Eaters come knocking, one had simply to enter the cabinet, shut the door and disappear for an hour or so.
Once the war was over, one Cabinet found its way into the a classroom on the second floor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, while the other was sent to Borgin & Burke's shop in Knockturn Alley. It languished there for a decade or so before Peeves the Poltergeist dropped it from a great height, completely destroying it. It was then moved to the first-floor, where Fred and George Weasley shoved Graham Montague into it to avoid detention.
When Draco Malfoy heard from Montague that in his time inside the Cabinet he could hear both the activities in Borgin & Burke's and those in Hogwarts, Malfoy realised that the Cabinet had a pair and could form a passageway. He thus visited Barjow Borgin at his shop and demanded that he be helped in fixing the cabinet lest Fenrir Greyback come to visit Borgin. Thus Malfoy was able to bring Death Eaters into Hogwarts in order to assassinate Albus Dumbledore.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 27 (The Lightning-Struck Tower)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 8 (The Deathday Party)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix