19 June, 1992
Professor Quirinus Quirrell (26 September, 1970 - 19 June, 1992) was a young wizard and the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher from September of 1991 until June of 1992. His career ended abruptly with his death at the hands of Lord Voldemort.
Professor Quirrell attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he was sorted into Ravenclaw house. He was often bullied, teased and ridiculed for his nerves and shyness. This induced in him a latent desire to make the world sit up and notice him. He consequently developed an initially theoretical interest in Dark magic.
In August of 1991, he took a year off for a 'Grand Tour', in which he intentionally tried to find Voldemort, whom he believed would grant him powers the likes of which had never before been seen. Voldemort immediately took possession of Quirrell, and used him as a puppet for murder and theft, and although Quirrell occasionally put up feeble resistance, Voldemort was too strong.
By the time he returned to Hogwarts, rumours had circulated that he had met vampires, hags and other monsters throughout his travels (in reality, his new stuttering was caused by having Voldemort in the back of his head).
His classroom and the turban he had been forced to wear after being possessed by Voldemort were both possessed of a rather foul odour, which his students believed to be garlic, hung to prevent the recurrence of a supposed vampire attack.
Behind the scenesEdit
- When the Weasley twins, Fred and George, pelt the back of Quirrell's head with snowballs, they are actually hitting Voldemort in the face.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Pottermore - New From J. K. Rowling: Professor Quirrell
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Quirrell started teaching DADA in September 1990, given that he already had had time to become frightened of his own students after his year-long sabbatical; this trip went on from 1989 to 1990; he started teaching Muggle Studies in September 1988 immediately after graduating and, as a consequence, started Hogwarts in 1981 and was therefore born in 1970.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Chapter Five - Diagon Alley)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Chapter Seventeen - The Man with Two Faces)