31 July, 1996
Highmaster of Durmstrang
Professor Igor Karkaroff (d. 31 July, 1997) was a pure-blood wizard and the Highmaster of Durmstrang Institute. He was one of the Death Eaters of Lord Voldemort in the First War, although he defected after his master's defeat, giving the names of fellow Death Eaters in exchange for his own freedom.
When Karkaroff became Headmaster of Durmstrang, he once again allowed the school to regain its former negative stigma. During his time leading the school, he encouraged a culture of fear and intimidation to grow amongst his students, and many parents withdrew their children from the school as a result.
Karkaroff had sleek, short white hair and a very yellow smile. His eyes, which were a very light blue, were often described as looking like chips of ice. He had a fruity, unctuous voice and a smile that never quite reached his eyes.
Personality and traitsEdit
Karkaroff was an uncultured, unprincipled and egotistical man who enjoyed climates of fear, secrecy and intimidation.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 17 (The Four Champions)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 15 (Beauxbatons and Durmstrang)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 19 (The Hungarian Horntail)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Pottermore - New From J. K. Rowling - Durmstrang