Dean Gary Thomas (b. 1980) was a half-blood English wizard and a Gryffindor alumnus at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He fought in the Battle of Hogwarts in May of 1998 and, despite lacking a wand for half of the battle, survived until the very end, where he drank with Aberforth Dumbledore and Seamus Finnigan.
Dean was born to a pure-blood wizard father and a Muggle mother; his father walked out on the family when Dean was very young. The reason for this was that the Death Eaters were recruiting, and Voldemort thought Mr Thomas would be a valuable asset. Indeed, he was killed because he refused to join them.
Thereafter, Dean was raised by his mother and a stepfather, as well as numerous half-brothers and sisters, and had a very happy home life. He believed himself to be Muggle-born, and indeed it was only when his acceptance letter arrived that he and his family began to question his heritage.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2